The criteria for appointment include:
- MMed/FC Path or equivalent relevant to the discipline (Haematology: Haematological Pathologist);
- Registrable with the Health Professions Council of South Africa as a Haematological Pathologist;
- The professional and academic standing of the applicant, as measured by the applicant's record in the spheres of teaching of basic or applied medical science, in research and clinical laboratory experience and management;
- Minimum seven (7) years postgraduate experience of which at least four (4) years at senior level with demonstrable experience of managing a diagnostic laboratory;
- Experience in undergraduate and postgraduate teaching at a tertiary academic institution;
- Evidence of leadership qualities, dynamism, innovation and inter-personal skills;
- The ability to interact with clinicians, participate in and contribute to specialist and combined medical clinics;
- Research experience as demonstrated by authorship of peer-reviewed publications;
- Experience in supervision of postgraduate research at the level of Master's Degree or higher.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Teaching as well as curriculum development in the Faculty's undergraduate and postgraduate programmes: undergraduate teaching includes the teaching of medical students, and students in the allied health sciences; post-graduate teaching includes supervision of registrars undergoing specialist training for the M.Med. degree in Haematological Pathology and Clinical Pathology; and supervision according to the applicant's interests of Masters or Doctoral students;
- Expansion of the Division's research programme , including acquisition of funding;
- Providing direction, inspiration and guidance to a staff complement consisting of consultant and registrar haematology pathologists, medical scientists, technologists, and post-graduate research students supervised by the various staff members;
- Overseeing the management and maintain SANAS accreditation of a large Haematology Laboratory delivering diagnostic services to Groote Schuur, Red Cross and associated Hospitals in accordance with the agreements between the University and the National Health Laboratory Services (NHLS). The services include both routine and specialised laboratory diagnostic services appropriate for academic health complexes and national coverage services, organising, developing and implementing new diagnostic methods and strategies appropriate for each level of service delivery;
- Will be expected to be available to be Head of the Department of Pathology
- Expected to participate in the national coverage programme that follow the mandate of the NHL
- Will provide leadership with regards to issues of diversity, transformation and equity.
The position is full-time and is on the establishment of the University of Cape Town, under the auspices of, and in terms of the agreements between, the University of Cape Town and the NHLS.
Enquiries about this position should be directed to Professor, Raj Ramesar Head: Department of Pathology at Raj.Ramesar@uct.ac.za or +27 21 406 6337
Appointment will take place in alignment with the Faculty's expectations for performance at each rank.
To apply, please e-mail the below documents in a single pdf fileto email@example.com:
Please ensure the title and reference number are indicated in the subject line.
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete.
Telephone: 021 650 6240
Reference number: E17223
Closing date: 24 October 2017
UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress in achieving its equity targets. Our Employment Equity Policy is available at http://www.uct.ac.za/downloads/uct.ac.za/about/policies/eepolicy.pdf.For this post we seek particularly to attract black South African candidates.
UCT reserves the right not to appoint.