The University of Cape Town is seeking to recruit a Professor and Director to lead the Electron Microscope Unit within the Aaron Klug Centre for Imaging and Analysis. This world-class facility serves the nanoscale imaging needs of both the physical and life sciences, across Science, Engineering and Health Sciences at UCT, with a wide user base beyond UCT. The Unit is located in a modern building that is purpose-built to house high resolution electron microscopes. The resources of the Unit include transmission and scanning electron microscopes, other related imaging tools, specialized preparative equipment and six scientific and technical officers capable of operating and maintaining the equipment.
The main purpose of the position is to lead, develop, maintain, market and manage the Unit to ensure that it is at the cutting edge of imaging and analysis techniques. The Director is expected to lead the Unit as an internationally recognized multi-disciplinary facility in the interests of the users of the facility, primarily researchers from the University of Cape Town and their post-graduate students.
Up to fifty percent of the Director's time should be spent on self-initiated research in imaging and analysis or a field which uses modern imaging techniques extensively.
- Possession of a PhD and an academic track record to qualify for appointment at Professorial level;
- An active, funded, research programme;
- At least ten years' experience in an academic and/or applied research environment, with demonstrated leadership achievements;
- Substantial experience in the use of electron microscopy and other imaging and analysis techniques in research, as evidenced by a publication record and a track record;
- Demonstrated leadership and managerial skills;
- Excellent track record of raising funds for research as lead investigator and/or as co-investigator on grant applications; and
- Experience in managing the professional development activities of young scientists.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
Providing strategic direction to the Unit;
- Directing, managing and leading the activities and development of the Unit;
- Marketing and the promotion of the Unit in the interests of the users of the facility;
- Conduct high quality scholarly research in an area that is closely related to nanoscale imaging and supervise postgraduate students;
- Educate researchers and postgraduate students in the application and use of advanced electron microscopy and other imaging and analysis techniques;
- Formulate grant proposals for new equipment and major long-term research projects;
- Forge synergies between the Unit, the academic departments and other entities within and outside the University;
- Providing scientific leadership within the Unit; and
- Managing research teams.
The annual remuneration packages for 2018, including benefits, at Professor level is R1 167 756.
To apply, please e-mail, in a single pdf file (max size 10Mb) , to Ms Tracy Moore at firstname.lastname@example.org
- UCT application form (download at http://forms.uct.ac.za/hr201.doc)
- A covering letter o f m o t i v a t i o n which addresses the above criteria, including a statement on your potential contribution as the Director for the Unit, and
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Please ensure the title and reference number are indicated in the subject line
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete
Telephone: 021 650 5405
Reference number: E18350
Closing date: 31 October 2018
UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress in achieving its equity targets. Our Employment Equity Policy is available at http://www.uct.ac.za/downloads/uct.ac.za/about/policies/eepolicy.pdf.
UCT reserves the right not to appoint.