We invite applications to fill one post at either Lecturer or Senior Lecturer or Associate Professor level. The appointment will be with effect from 02 January 2019.
The Department of Statistical Sciences at the University of Cape Town is responsible for lecturing and research in the disciplines variously known as Statistics, Operations Research, Management Science, Quantitative Methods, Data Science, Decision Science and Analytics, and includes the application of the Statistical Sciences in all areas of human endeavour. The department offers qualifications in these disciplines at undergraduate and postgraduate level to students from Science and Commerce and service courses to other faculties. The department has a strong record of broad interdisciplinary work in its teaching and research.
We are specifically looking to recruit someone with expertise in at least one of the following areas: Simulation and Optimization, Multivariate Statistics, Econometric or Financial Modelling. Strong candidates in other fields of specialization may also be considered.
For appointment as Lecturer
- At least a Master's degree in Statistics, Operations Research or a closely related field at the time of appointment;
- Ability and interest to teach at undergraduate and postgraduate level;
- Ability and interest to supervise research at postgraduate level;
- Experience in an academic role would be an advantage (tutor/ teaching assistant or similar).
- Candidates who do not have a PhD would be expected to register within 1 year of appointment.
For appointment as Senior Lecturer
- A PhD in Statistics, Operations Research or a closely related field at the time of appointment;
- Experience in teaching, ideally at undergraduate and postgraduate level;
- Experience in supervising research at postgraduate level with track record of graduated postgraduate students;
- A record in research and publication.
For appointment as Associate Professor
- A PhD in Statistics, Operations Research or a closely related field;
- A strong track record of research with a good international publication record;
- A good track record of postgraduate supervision;
- Experience in teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate level;
- Experience in supervising research at postgraduate level.
Applicants from industry with comparable experience will also be considered
- Teaching and developing undergraduate as well as postgraduate courses in the department;
- Supervising honours and postgraduate students;
- Developing and pursuing an active research programme;
- Contribution to the administration in the department and faculty.
The annual remuneration packages for 2018, including benefits, are as follows:
Lecturer: R638 848
Senior Lecturer: R786 717
Associate Professor: R938 204
An allowance for scarce skills may additionally be offered.
For further information regarding this position, contact Dr Freedom Gumedze (Acting Head of Department) at Freedom.Gumedze@uct.ac.za
To apply, please e-mail the below documents in a single pdf file to Ms Tracy Moore at email@example.com:
- UCT Application Form (download at http://forms.uct.ac.za/hr201.doc )
- A letter of motivation
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- A statement (no more than 2 pages) on teaching and separately research.
Please ensure the title and reference number are indicated in the subject line.
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete.
Telephone: 021 650 5405
Reference number: E18377
Departmental website: www.stats.uct.ac.za
Closing date: 29 October 2018
UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress in achieving its equity targets. Our Employment Equity Policy is available at http://www.uct.ac.za/downloads/uct.ac.za/about/policies/eepolicy.pdf.
UCT reserves the right not to appoint.