The College of Accounting is one of the largest departments in the Faculty of Commerce. The College's vision is to be a centre of excellence in professional accounting education and its highly regarded Chartered Accountant (CA (SA)) programmes are accredited by the South African Institute of Chartered Accountants (SAICA).
Applications are invited from suitably professionally qualified persons, who wish to teach on courses within the Management Accounting & Finance (MAF) section, for appointment to a permanent full-time post as Lecturer or Senior Lecturer in the College of Accounting.
1. For appointment at Lecturer level: Professional qualification as a Chartered Accountant (South Africa) (or the successful candidate will be eligible to register as a Chartered Accountant (South Africa) when the appointment commences).
2. For appointment at Senior Lecturer level: Professional qualification as a Chartered Accountant (South Africa); a relevant Master's degree; appropriate prior Management Accounting & Finance teaching experience and evidence of appropriate academic leadership (for example, course convening); and contribution to professional and public service.
If appointed, the successful candidate will be expected to:
- Teach post- and undergraduate Management Accounting & Finance courses.
- Apply their knowledge and expertise in innovative and reflective ways to post- and undergraduate teaching.
- Work within a dynamic team and contribute towards transformation activities, scholarship and related initiatives within the College.
- Convene an undergraduate or postgraduate programme or at least one course in the MAF section.
- Perform related management and academic administrative tasks, appropriate for the level of appointment.
The following will be to the candidate's advantage:
For appointment at Lecturer Level:
- Prior teaching experience.
For appointment at Lecturer or Senior Lecturer Level:
- Evidence of competence in scholarship, in particular the scholarship of teaching and/or Management Accounting & Finance.
- Relevant practical industry experience.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Specialised competence within Management Accounting & Finance, including the Chartered Global Management Accountant (CGMA) designation.
- Academic administration and leadership experience, appropriate for the level of appointment.
The annual remuneration packages, including benefits, at the respective levels are as follows:
Lecturer : R639 848 (excluding a scarcity allowance)
Senior Lecturer : R786 717 (excluding a scarcity allowance)
Should you wish to find out more about these positions you are welcome to contact the Head of the College of Accounting, Professor Goolam Modack, via email at email@example.com.
To apply, please e-mail the below documents in a single pdf file to Ms Abigail Dixon at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- UCT Application Form (download at http://forms.uct.ac.za/hr201.doc ) Please indicate clearly which position you are applying for on the application form;
- A letter of motivation, highlighting your teaching experience; and
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Please ensure the title and reference number are indicated in the subject line. Please clearly indicate the level at which you are applying for.
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and may be required to undergo assessments.
Telephone: 021 650 1673
Reference number: E18418
Departmental website: www.commerce.uct.ac.za/Accounting/
Closing date: 25 January 2019
UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress in achieving its equity targets. Our Employment Equity Policy is available at http://www.uct.ac.za/downloads/uct.ac.za/about/policies/eepolicy.pdf For this post we seek particularly to attract black (i.e Africans, Coloureds or Indians) South African candidates.
UCT reserves the right not to appoint.