UCT's Communication and Marketing Department (CMD) seeks to appoint a Deputy Director. The Deputy Director position has been established with assistance from a special fund that makes possible a three-year contract period for this senior position within UCT.
CMD is responsible for communication and marketing initiatives at UCT including online communications, publications, newsroom, crisis communication, media liaison, events, public and stakeholder relations and a visitor's programme to UCT as well as executive communications. The Deputy Director reports to the Director: CMD and works closely with the Executive Director (ED): CMD and other key managers.
The main purpose of the position:
- To support the development, implementation and monitoring of a strategic communication and marketing plan for UCT according to its overall strategic goals.
- The incumbent implements this plan through the internal management of the CMD team in close liaison with the ED & Director of CMD.
- Through this close liaison the incumbent ensures the direct alignment of the work of the department with the work of the ED & Director of CMD who works closely with the Leadership Lekgotla and the university's executive.
- The incumbent ensures that all the UCT offerings on all the communication platforms (online, media, print, video, promotional and advertising material, events, and stakeholder engagements) are of an excellent quality that demonstrably contributes to the positioning of UCT locally, nationally and internationally.
The chief objectives are:
- supports the ED (CMD), the Director (CMD), members of the senior leadership group including deans, representatives for Communication and Marketing based within faculties and Departments and key units within UCT when required.
- assists and takes responsibility for developing key communication and marketing strategies and initiatives over multiple platforms and ensures the implementation and monitoring of these.
- oversees HR processes and manages staff within CMD.
- has responsibility for key financial management, adhering to and ensuring good governance.
- gives input, leads and ensures the implementation of the department's transformation plan as set out by the CMD transformation committee.
- deputises for the Director and the ED when needed.
- forms a key part of the collective senior leadership of the department.
- acts as spokesperson for UCT when required.
- leads the team during times of crisis and ensures effective implementation of decisions.
- liaises with and oversees key external service providers.
Furthermore, the incumbent ensures excellence in the delivery of media liaison, crisis communication, stakeholder engagement, UCT online presence, multimedia, publications, events, public relations, internal and external stakeholder engagement.
- An appropriate postgraduate university degree at NQF 8 level (i.e Honours) or equivalent qualification.
- 10 years' relevant work experience in communication and marketing including media liaison, executive communications, online communication, event management, stakeholder relations, public relations, stakeholder marketing and particularly crisis communications.
- At least 3 years proven and established senior management experience.
- An established track record of managing communication issues at a strategic level.
- High-level strategic thinking and large organizational engagement experience and insights.
- Experience in managing and promoting a large organization's reputation, knowledge, empathy and understanding of South Africa's current social and economic climate.
For more information please see the job description at http://www.staff.uct.ac.za/staff/vacancies/general
The 2018 annual remuneration package, including benefits, is between R737 101 and R867 177.
To apply, please e-mail the below documents in a single pdf file to Ms Abigail Dixon email@example.com:
- UCT Application Form (download at http://forms.uct.ac.za/hr201.doc )
- Cover letter which MUST include a motivation for your suitability for this position; and.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV).
Please ensure that the position title and reference number are indicated in the subject line of your email.
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete and will not be considered. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted and will be required to bring along a portfolio of work for the interview.
Telephone: 021 650 1673
Reference number: E18433
Departmental website: http://www.hr.uct.ac.za/
Closing date: 14 January 2019
UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress in achieving its equity targets. Our Employment Equity Policy is available at http://www.uct.ac.za/downloads/uct.ac.za/about/policies/eepolicy.pdf. Special funding has been provided for this post with the aim of advancing diversity, and for this post we seek particularly to attract black (i.e Africans, Coloureds and Indians) South African candidates.
UCT reserves the right not to appoint.