The University Of Cape Town Graduate School Of Business (GSB) is looking for the right
individual to lead it into the future.
Reference number: E18437
The GSB is a school on the move with a vibrant and pioneering spirit. Year after year, it is recognised in several global rankings and accreditations as a leading player and trendsetter in management education in Africa and internationally. The school occupies a critical niche in driving a more values-based, sustainable approach to business and management. With a mission to contribute to the success of individuals and organisations through research informed teaching, practice and thought leadership that prioritizes the complex and pressing economic and social challenges of our world today, its two core aspirations are:
(i) to remain relevant for both society and the business community, and
(ii) to pay attention to continued excellence in content delivery and research output.
In line with this vision, the GSB has developed three areas of excellence.
First, while most business schools develop academic strength via a few strong disciplinary faculty groups (finance, marketing, strategy etc.), the GSB is developing its academic excellence in the trans- disciplinary theme of Emergent Market Business. Our key research themes are values-based leadership; social innovation and entrepreneurship; and emerging markets finance, investment and trade.
Secondly, while maintaining a global perspective, a business school cannot live outside its local and regional business environment and has to take responsibility for impacting on these. Therefore, the GSB has developed flagship centres that address transformation and inequality and ultimately to ensure the School's societal relevance.
Thirdly, the GSB has developed Pedagogical Excellence through a variety of means, including a focus on systems thinking and action learning. Innovative activities in transformative learning and personal development are core elements a cad emi c programmes and Executive Education.
The development of these three areas of excellence ensures that the GSB provides significant thought leadership, in South Africa, the continent and indeed worldwide. This is demonstrated by research publications in international journals, innovative teaching, strong social responsiveness, and a robust culture of debate.
The new director of the GSB will build on the school's achievements to date, uphold its vision and values and drive new growth and innovation.
The Director will be responsible for shaping the strategic vision for the GSB assuring the continuing international accreditation status of the School. The Director has oversight of all academic and business operations of the School. The Director is also responsible for forging and sustaining external relations with the business sector, civil society, international partners, the University and community stakeholders as well as for developing constructive links with alumni. Fund raising and donor management are a key function of the Director.
The Director will be expected to lead transformation in the School, and in the University as part of the UCT senior leadership.
We are seeking candidates who demonstrate the following:
- Proven senior-level leadership and management experience within a complex environment.
- At least 10 years' leadership experience at the senior level.
- Academic leadership in the field of business and management would be a distinct advantage.
- Possession of an appropriate postgraduate qualification.
- A high profile and standing within the business and/or academic communities, with the ability to network with key members at local and international levels.
- Be able to inspire and innovate.
- A passion for and understanding of business and the role of education in business development.
- A thorough understanding of the social, political and economic environments in which South African universities and UCT in particular, operate and a commitment to transformation and inclusiveness.
- Evidence of building and maintaining mutually beneficial business relationships, including strategies for fostering development of future business leaders from diverse populations.
- A doctoral degree would be advantageous.
Remuneration will be appropriate to the senior management level. The initial term of appointment of a Director is for five years and there is a limit of one contract renewal, subject to performance assessment.
To apply, please e-mail the below documents in a single pdf file Ms. Shanaaz Jaffer at email@example.com:
- a covering letter which addresses the above criteria, including a statement on your potential contribution as Director
- your full curriculum vitae with the names and contact details of three referees.
- the HR204 application form for Senior Executive Posts available at: http://forms.uct.ac.za/hr204.doc
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and may be required to undergo an assessment.
Please ensure the post title and reference number are indicated in the subject line.
Shortlisted candidates may be requested to provide further documentation on their candidacy.
Appointment procedures are available at :
Information on The Graduate School of Business is available at www.gsb.uct.ac.za
Nominations with a brief motivation may also be sent to Ms Shanaaz Jaffer at firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for receipt of applications: 31 January 2019
Reference number: E18437
The University reserves the right to extend the closing date if deemed necessary and reserves the right to make no appointment.
UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress in achieving its equity targets. Our Employment Equity Policy is available at http://www.uct.ac.za/downloads/uct.ac.za/about/policies/eepolicy.pdf. For this post we seek particularly to attract black (African, Coloured and Indian) South African candidates.
UCT reserves the right not to appoint.