The School of Education at the University of Cape Town invites applications for the post of Lecturer in Adult
Reference number: E19116
The School of Education at the University of Cape Town invites applications for the post of Lecturer in Adult Education.
UCT has been offering Adult Education qualifications for many years, aimed primarily at adult educators in community-based organisations, trade unions and the NGO sector. It is currently re-developing its qualifications to ensure their relevance for the newly established Community Adult Education and Training colleges. We are interested in applicants whose research interests and teaching experience relate to community and workers' education and training within the context of the development, equity and social justice challenges faced in South Africa.
The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Contribute to postgraduate teaching and supervision at Honours/Post-Graduate Diploma / Masters levels
- Carry out teaching practice supervision in community colleges, trade unions and NGOs (for the Work Integrated Learning component of the Higher Certificate in ACET)
- Contribute to the general development of our education programmes and research in the field of Adult Education and Training
Requirements for the post include:
- Experience of teaching in the field of adult education at tertiary level
- Adult education practitioner experience in formal or non-formal/informal contexts
- Close to completing a PhD in a relevant field
The following would be advantageous:
- Evidence of a commitment to inquiry-based teaching
- Familiarity with traditions of critical pedagogy and with debates around the role of adult education in social development and social justice
- Proficiency in an African language (including Afrikaans)
- Willingness to teach across other programmes in the School of Education
- Knowledge of the change in qualification structures and curriculum developments in the field of Adult Education
The successful candidate would be expected to start in May 2019 or as soon as possible thereafter.
The respective annual remuneration package, including benefits, for 2019 are as follows:
Lecturer: R683 358
To apply, please e-mail the below documents in a single pdf file to firstname.lastname@example.org:
Please ensure the title and reference number are indicated in the subject line.
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and may be required to undergo a competency test.
Telephone: 021 650 2163
Reference number: E19116
Departmental website: http://www.humanities.uct.ac.za/
Closing date: 22 February 2019
UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress in achieving its equity targets. Our Employment Equity Policy is available at http://www.uct.ac.za/downloads/uct.ac.za/about/policies/eepolicy.pdf.For this post we seek particularly to attract black South African (African, Coloured and Indian) candidates.
UCT reserves the right not to appoint.