The Director of Property and Infrastructure Management Division invites suitably qualified and experienced applicants to apply for the post of Manager: Campus Facilities. The main purpose of the Manager will be providing and managing an integrated property and facilities management service to Parktown campus. This position will manage all administrative and operational activities related to the Maintenance Teams which comprise workers across different trades (plumbers, movers and builders), and will ensure that procedures are conducted in an environmentally friendly manner with minimum downtime, so as not to interfere with the University's academic, teaching, research, sport and residential programs
Key responsibilities include the following:
Ensuring that all maintenance and repair work done by the Maintenance Teams is done in a cost effective and efficient manner, and in accordance with the planned maintenance schedule assigned. This will include, but is not be limited to:
- Developing annual operational maintenance and upkeep plans for the Maintenance Team in relation to the requirements of Faculties, Schools and Departments located at Parktown campus. This will be done in collaboration with the Technical Inspectors and Technical Supervisor and will include preventative, breakdown and emergency maintenance requirements that fall within the capability of the Maintenance Teams;
- Planning the implementation of any refurbishment, alteration and / or other jobs performed by the Maintenance Teams to ensure business continuity and least interruption to the academic and research activities of the University, within agreed time and budget requirements, in so far as it is practical and reasonable;
- Where capacity does not exist within the Maintenance Teams at Parktown, liaise with other Managers across the university for assistance on major projects
- With assistance from the Technical Supervisors, tracking the progress of all jobs and addressing any delays that might occur;
- Ensuring that areas that have been serviced by the Maintenance Teams are adequately lit, and such lighting system is maintained to acceptable standards in order to provide for a safe environment after hours, in so far as it is practical and reasonable
- In collaboration with the Services Division's, inspecting and ensuring that buildings and structures that have been cleaned by the Maintenance Teams are left in an acceptable standard and that hygiene regulations are met
- Developing and implementing a forum between himself/herself and the Maintenance team which will meet regularly and be documented, in order to foster effective communication between the Maintenance Team and its key clients;
- Ensuring timeous and cost-effective planning of budgets and implementing financial control over all activities by the Maintenance Teams and any contractors. This will be done in line with the approved procurement practices and policies of the University and within their delegation of authority;
- Ensuring the conditions of contract are met and executed by contractors (where necessary) appointed to undertake any work under their control, and ensuring that detailed and accurate records are kept in line with audit and financial management requirements;
- Reviewing Faculty, School and Departmental monthly safety reports and risk registers and timeously attending to the remedial matters related to the Maintenance function, to ensure risk mitigation. This will be done in collaboration with the appointed Occupational Health and Safety Officer;
- Ensuring that Occupational Health and Safety inspections are carried out on maintenance and repair job sites and that risks associated with any work as per requirements of the Occupational Health and Safety Construction Regulations and other relevant legislation
- Human resources planning, including training and development as well as succession planning
- Implementing and maintaining a Performance Management system as approved for the Property and Infrastructure Management Division, inclusive of the measurement and adjustment of individual's KPI's to ensure compliance with PIMD objectives.
- Monthly and annual performance reporting
- Records of all meetings, financial transactions and project documents must be kept on file, as per requirements of audit and administrative regulations
- In collaboration with the PIMD Data and Systems and Space Planning, accurate and detailed records are kept of all warrantees, guarantees, commissioning certificates, certificates of compliance, and as built drawings etc.
- Degree or two years Diploma in Electrical, Electronics or Mechanical Engineering
- Certificate in Facilities Management
- General Management and Financial Management Experience
- Understanding of Project Management processes applicable to building environment
- Strong leadership qualities, ability to motivate and manage a team
- Working knowledge of electrical, plumbing, moving, painting and preventative building maintenance
- Experience in infrastructure risk management
- An understanding of Occupational Health and Safety
- Eight (8) to ten (10) years of which five (5) would have been in a management capacity
How To Apply
Please submit a covering letter clearly indicating which post you are applying for, detailed CV with names, addresses, contact numbers and e-mail addresses of 3 referees.
External applicants are invited to apply, by registering your profile on the Wits i-recruitment platform located at https://irec.wits.ac.za and submitting your application.
Internal employees are invited to apply directly on Oracle by following the path: iWits /Self Service application/ "Apply for a job"
The University is committed to employment equity. Preference may be given to appointable applicants from the underrepresented designated groups in terms of the relevant employment equity plans and policies of the University. The University retains the right not to make an appointment and to verify all information provided by candidates.
Please note that correspondence will only be entered into with shortlisted candidates. The University reserves the right not to make an appointment or to re-advertise
Closing Date: 22 February 2019