The Michaelis School of Fine Art is internationally recognised as one of Africa's foremost institutions for the study of fine art. The School seeks to appoint a new member of staff to assume teaching and research in Art History and Discourse of Art. Candidates with an academic background and research experience in art history and visual culture as well as other cognate disciplines, are invited to apply for this position. We seek to appoint a lecturer who will be part of the Art History and Discourse of Art section's drive towards transformation, research and curriculum renewal.
Successful candidates will be responsible for teaching undergraduate courses in the BA and Bachelors of Art in Fine Art(BAFA) programme and supervising postgraduate research.
Candidates must have a research track record, and teaching and administrative experience appropriate to the rank of Lecturer
Information on the teaching and research activities of the School may be found on the website: www.michaelis.uct.ac.za
- A PhD in Art History or other cognate discipline, or close to completion
- Teaching and research experience appropriate to the rank of lecturer
- Evidence of emerging research trajectory in the form of publications or other outputs
- Convening and teaching in the undergraduate programme;
- Postgraduate supervision;
- Departmental administrative responsibilities as appropriate;
- Contribution to the public profile of the School;
- Development of independent research programme in an area of focus in the Department.
The annual cost of employment for 2019, including benefits at Lecturer level is R639 849.
To apply, please e-mail the below documents in a single pdf file to Ian.firstname.lastname@example.org:
Please ensure the title and reference number are indicated in the subject line.
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the interview and will be required to make a presentation.
Telephone: 021 650 2163
Reference number: E19139
Closing date: 31 March 2019
UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress in achieving its equity targets. Our Employment Equity Policy is available at http://www.uct.ac.za/downloads/uct.ac.za/about/policies/eepolicy.pdf. For this post we seek particularly to attract black (i.e. African, Coloured and Indian) South African Candidates.
UCT reserves the right not to appoint.