The Desmond Tutu HIV Centre (DTHC), based at the Faculty of Health Sciences (FHS), is committed to the pursuit of excellence in research, treatment, training and prevention of HIV and related infections in Southern Africa.
We are seeking a dynamic individual to join our growing research team as Laboratory Manager. The main purpose of the position is to manage all laboratory activities at the Emavundleni Research Site, including oversight of onsite diagnostics, safe handling of specimens, QA / QC processes (IQC and EQA), reporting on GLP and GCP and accountability to all clinical trial sponsors including NIH, FDA, SAHPRA and REC.
This full-time, 24 month fixed-term (T1) contract position will primarily be based at the Emavundleni Research Site
- National Diploma in Medical Technology (Postgraduate qualification would be advantageous, particularly inclusive of research and data management content)
- HPSCA registration
- GCLP/QMS trained or experience working in a GCLP compliant or accredited laboratory
- IATA dangerous goods training (past or present)
- 1-3 years' experience in research environment
- 1 year of staff management experience
- Client focus and strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Problem - solving and decision making
- Excellent quality control and attention to detail capability
- Fully computer literate; including advanced MS Excel skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Strong planning, organizing and problem solving skills
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people
- Managing and supervision of staff
- Specimen collection, management, documentation and dissemination
- Management of the Laboratory ensuring data sets are accurate and up to date
- Data entry and quality management
The annual cost of employment is between R 273 934 to R 521 333
To apply, please e-mail the below documents in a single pdf file to Ms Sinoxolo Bhovula at Sinoxolo.Bhovula@uct.ac.za:
Please ensure the title and reference number are indicated in the subject line.
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and may be required to undergo an assessment.
Telephone: 021 650 6966
Reference number: E90311
Closing date: 22 March 2019
UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress in achieving its equity targets. Our Employment Equity Policy is available at http://www.uct.ac.za/downloads/uct.ac.za/about/policies/eepolicy.pdf. For this post we seek particularly to attract black South African (i.e. African, Coloured and Indian) candidates
UCT reserves the right not to appoint.