Are you experienced in providing intermediate technical support for business-critical services and/or infrastructure and have project management experience in a progressive ICT environment, with a strong customer focus and a demonstrable track record of innovative thinking, project-based delivery and productive interactions across multiple teams? The Enterprise Infrastructure and Services division seeks a Systems Engineer to develop infrastructure and services through project work, to design, maintain and manage complete systems, support ICT systems, services and infrastructure and provide technical leadership in a complex and heterogeneous systems and infrastructure environment. This is a role which plays a critical part in ensuring that UCT derives value from its investment in IT infrastructure and reports to a senior manager.
- Providing highly technical support for business-critical services, systems and/or infrastructure.
- Maintaining and managing business-critical ICT systems and/or infrastructure services.
- Troubleshooting, remediation and optimization of business-critical services, systems and/or infrastructure.
- Provides technical leadership for one or more system and/or infrastructure service components.
Required non-technical skills include:
- Ability to prioritize and manage work under pressure.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills.
- A strong customer service ethic.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Analysis and problem-solving ability.
Minimum requirements include:
- Relevant qualification at NQF level 7 and/or 7 years' experience in enterprise ICT applications and infrastructure and support
- Expert in SharePoint administration and site configuration; on-prem and/or Office 365
- Expert in application life-cycle management methodologies including technologies
- Expert operating system knowledge at advanced administration level: Linux and/or Windows
- Working knowledge of Single Sign-on/Federation technologies such as CAS, SimpleSamlPhP, ADFS or Shibboleth
- Working knowledge of virtual hosting environments: VMWare, HyperV, Citrix etc.
- Working knowledge of implementing and configuring Software as a Service solution
- Working knowledge of network infrastructure services e.g. DNS, DHCP and various networking protocols
- Web server administration, configuration and optimization (Apache, Tomcat, IIS).
- Database administration (MS SQL, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Mongo or MariaDB).
- Application performance monitoring, troubleshooting and optimization.
- Project management principles.
- Proven experience with opensource application configuration and administration.
The annual remuneration package, including benefits is R578574 to R680673 per annum
To apply, please e-mail the below documents in a single pdf file to firstname.lastname@example.org:
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and may be required to undergo a competency test.
Telephone: 021 650 3012
Reference number: E90414
Closing date: 23 April 2019
UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress in achieving its equity targets. Our Employment Equity Policy is available at http://www.uct.ac.za/downloads/uct.ac.za/about/policies/eepolicy.pdf.
UCT reserves the right not to appoint.