The Department of Electrical Engineering at the University of Cape Town enjoys an international reputation for its activities in the
fields of control engineering, digital electronics, image processing, instrumentation, machines and drives, microwave
engineering, power electronics, mechatronics, power engineering, radar and remote sensing, and telecommunications.
The Department has an undergraduate cohort of around 800 students and a postgraduate cohort of around 200 (masters and
doctoral) students. Our three undergraduate Bachelor of Science in Engineering degrees (Electrical Engineering; Electrical &
Computer Engineering; and Mechatronics) are accredited by the Engineering Council of South Africa. Amongst other postgraduate qualifications, we offer a taught masters' degree in Radar, Remote Sensing and Electronic Defence, the MEng (Radar).
The Department would like to appoint a senior, permanent, full-time academic in the field of Radar and Remote Sensing to
provide leadership and research-led teaching in the field. The appointment level will be relative to the stature and experience of
the applicant. In addition to the normal academic duties the incumbent will be required to be available to act as the Convener of
the MEng (Radar) Programme.
- A Bachelor's degree in an appropriate engineering discipline
- A PhD directly related to Radar and Remote Sensing technology
- An excellent reputation and leadership in the field, as demonstrated by publications and high-level professional involvement
- Teaching and supervision experience
- Experience in teaching postgraduate courses and workshops
- A track record of research projects, securing funding and research publications
- Postgraduate supervision to completion
- Relevant industrial experience
- International reputation
- Professional Engineering registration
- National Research Foundation rating
- Experience in management (of courses, staff and/or research projects)
The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Contribute to excellence in the operation of the Radar Masters Programme, by maintaining and growing the reputation of the
- Undertake undergraduate and post-graduate teaching
- Supervise undergraduate and postgraduate research and project students.
- Obtain research funding, and undertake high level research that results in publication in reputable, high quality journals
- Participate in administration
- Obtain and maintain a National Research Foundation rating and Professional Engineering registration
The annual remuneration package, including benefits is as follows:-
Associate Professor: R1, 002 002
Professor: R1, 237 822
To apply, please e-mail the below documents in a single pdf file to Ms Abigail Dixon at firstname.lastname@example.org:
Please ensure the title and reference number are indicated in the subject line
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete and will not be considered.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to deliver a presentation to the Department.
Telephone: 021 650 1673
Reference number: E19192
Closing date: 03 May 2019
UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress in achieving its equity targets. Our Employment Equity Policy is available at http://www.uct.ac.za/downloads/uct.ac.za/about/policies/eepolicy.pdf. For this post we seek particularly to attract
candidates from the designated groups.
UCT reserves the right not to appoint.