The Department of Construction Economics and Management enjoys an international reputation for its activities in
the fields of Property Studies, Quantity Surveying, Construction Management and Project Management. The
Department is also home to the Urban Real Estate Research Unit.
The Department is seeking to appoint a permanent full-time academic at Lecturer or Senior Lecturer level in the
field of Property and Planning. This person will be expected to contribute to the development of the "Property and
Planning" theme in both teaching and research in the Department. We invite suitably qualified persons to apply for
- An honours or equivalent qualification in Property or Planning related fields.
- For appointment at Lecturer level, a Masters degree in Property or Planning and a minimum of 5 years suitable
experience in the field.
- For appointment at Senior Lecturer level, a PhD in a relevant field and relevant research and/or teaching
- Ability to teach in at least one of the following subject areas:
(i) Urban Land Economics
(ii) Urban Land Use
(iii) Housing Economics and Policy
Advantages – Demonstrated qualities that would inform the level of appointment
- Appropriate professional registration with SACPLAN.
- For appointment at Lecturer level, previous teaching experience in Property and Planning at the undergraduate
and/or postgraduate level.
- For appointment at Senior Lecturer level, a research publication record in accredited international peerreviewed journals and conferences
The successful candidate is expected to:
- To lecture to students and develop course material in Property and Planning and contribute to excellence in
undergraduate and postgraduate teaching.
- Conduct research, supervise postgraduate students and publish in refereed journals and contribute to
excellence in research at UCT.
- Participate in the management and administration of the Department.
- Be socially responsive by engaging with community and/or industry through teaching and research.
- Complete a PhD (if not already held).
The annual cost of employment, including benefits, is:
Lecturer - R683 358
Senior Lecturer - R834 707
To apply, please e-mail the below documents in a single pdf file (max size 10Mb) to Ms Abigail Dixon at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- UCT Application Form (download at http://forms.uct.ac.za/hr201.doc )
- Curriculum Vitae (CV);
- A 1-2 page statement of interest specifying the relevance of the applicant's experience to the Department; and
- Names and complete contact information for three references.
Please ensure the title and reference number are indicated in the subject line.
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete and may not be
considered. Shortlisted candidates may be required to deliver a short presentation to the Department.
Telephone: 021 650 1673
Reference number: E19229
Closing date: 27 May 2019
UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress in achieving its equity targets. Our Employment Equity Policy is available at http://www.uct.ac.za/downloads/uct.ac.za/about/policies/eepolicy.pdf.For this post, we seek particularly to attract black (i.e Africans, Coloureds and Indians) South African candidates.
UCT reserves the right not to appoint.