We seek to attract a suitably qualified and experienced registered Para-veterinary Professional to the post of Experimental Unit Manager, in the UCT Research Animal Facility, located in the Faculty of Health Sciences. The ideal candidate would be registered with the South African Veterinary Council to practice as a Para-veterinary Professional; have substantial theatre experience in anaesthesia, peri-operative monitoring and care in a variety of species; as well as relevant experience in the management of facilities, staff and the quality of processes and procedures. The successful candidate would ideally start employment as soon as possible.
- A relevant qualification in a relevant para-veterinary field
- Registered with the South African Veterinary Council to practice as a Para-veterinary Professional
- Minimum of 3 year's experience practicing as a registered Para-veterinary Professional in a laboratory animal or relevant clinical environment
- Experience in surgical theatre work, general anaesthesia and peri-operative management
- Experience in managing people, facilities, systems and processes
- Understanding of quality management systems
- Understanding of the principles of biocontainment, working with infectious substances, health and safety
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure, assume high responsibility, work alone as well as in a team
- Computer skills (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, professional email and efficient internet use)
- Excellent interpersonal skills, verbal and written communication skills
- Integrity, ethical nature, respect and care for animals
- Assume para-veterinary on-call or emergency on-call afterhours duty including weekends as required
- Experience in direct line-management or supervision of staff
- Experience in the management of a research animal facility, hospital or clinic
- Experience in advanced general anaesthesia, peri-operative management and cardio-pulmonary support in sheep, pigs, rabbits, rats and mice, without the need for direct veterinary supervision
- Experience in practical rodent handling, injection, dosing, general anaesthesia, euthanasia, welfare monitoring
- Experience serving as a member of institutional animal ethics committees; presenting lectures or training
- Experience working with infectious diseases in BioSafety Level 2, BioSafety Level 3 or higher laboratories
- Experience in formal quality management systems, writing controlled Standard Operating Procedures
- Valid driver's licence
- Job Responsibilities include:
- Provide the Research Animal Facility with dedicated clinical and para-clinical Para-veterinary support
- Perform facility management of the Experimental Unit laboratories (Animal BioSafety Levels 1-3)
- Perform quality management of the Experimental Unit laboratories (Animal BioSafety Levels 1-3)
- Perform direct line-management of Experimental Unit staff members
- Continuously refine quality of care standards in the Experimental Unit
The annual cost of employment, including benefits is between R374 433 – R431 859, plus additional premium may apply based on relevant qualifications and experience. An additional payment for on-call duties applies.
Please note: the recommended candidate will be required to undergo a pre-placement medical test.
To apply, please e-mail the below documents in a single pdf file to Ms Vathiswa Mbangi at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- UCT Application Form (download at http://forms.uct.ac.za/hr201.doc )
- Letter of motivation for the application
- Curriculum vitae (CV), and
- Proof of current registration with the South African Veterinary Council
Please ensure the title of the post and reference number are indicated in the subject line.
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and may be required to undergo a competency assessment.
Telephone: 021 650 3003
Reference number: E19209
Closing date: 28 May 2019
UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress in achieving its equity targets. Our Employment Equity Policy is available at http://www.uct.ac.za/downloads/uct.ac.za/about/policies/eepolicy.pdf.
UCT reserves the right not to appoint.